Sunday, October 14, 2012

Twelfth Night Mini-Analysis

Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night makes gender and social order topsy-turvy by reversing gender roles and social roles between the characters. Although gender and social order gets placed on its head, by the end of the play there is a semblance of order. In my opinion, Shakespeare makes a critique of the gender and societal norms that are present during his time by showing how things would be if the roles were reversed.
 

Things are made topsy-turvy in the realms of gender and social order by, first, having Viola dress up as a man and take up the identity of Cesario in order to get work with Orsino. Viola decides to dress as a man to serve Orsino: “Conceal me what I am, and be my aid / for such disguise as haply shall become / The form of my intent. I’ll serve this duke” (I.ii.51-53). Since Viola decides to disguise herself as a man, gender is made topsy-turvy. Another way things are made topsy-turvy is by having Malvolio talk down to Sir Toby and Sir Andrew while they were merry-making. Malvolio tells Sir Toby and Sir Andrew, “Have you no wit, manners, nor honesty but to gabble / like tinkers at this time of night? Do ye make an alehouse / of my lady’s house?” (II.iii.82-84). Malvolio is just Olivia’s servant, and yet he talks down to Sir Toby and Sir Andrew, who are knights. Things were also made topsy-turvy by having Olivia fall in love with Cesario, who is really Viola in drag. Olivia first realizes her love for Cesario: “I do I know not what, and fear to find / Mine eye too great a flatterer for my mind” (II.i.295-296). Since Olivia is pursuing Viola, who is a woman and in a lower social class than her, it is turning the realms of gender and social order around.

At the end of the play order is seemingly restored. Olivia marries Sebastian, Viola marries Orsino, and Sir Toby marries Maria. Everyone ends up with the people that they are supposed to end up with. All of these pairings seem like they are what would be considered normal and acceptable during that time. Although, Olivia married Sebastian because she thought that he was Cesario. Olivia thinks Sebastian is Cesario and tells him, “Nay, come, I prithee. Would thou’dst be ruled by me!” (IV.i.61). Olivia is in love with Cesario, not Sebastian, and yet she marries Sebastian. Orsino seems to be in love with Cesario instead of Viola. Orsino tells Viola, “Boy, thou hast said to me a thousand times / Thou never shouldst love woman like to me” (V.i.265-266). Orsino seems to have fallen for Viola before he finds out that she is a girl. Sir Toby marries beneath his class by marrying Maria.
 

Shakespeare is definitely making a critique of gender and societal norms during his time in England. I believe that Shakespeare is trying to say that there is no such thing as gender and societal norms. Everyone is going to do as they please, when it comes down to it. Just like the end of the play, everyone has their own special reason for being with who they are with. Even though who they ended up with was “normal,” the reason behind their choice was very unconventional.

4 comments:

  1. I think it was a great use of direct quotes.Very clear to me that you get the way boundaries of societal norms are broken throughout the play. I would have like to seen more of your thoughts on the whole Viola and Orsino situation. How is that odd, and what is Shakespeare trying to convey?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how your last paragraph involves with Orsion and Viola's sitiation. However what really caught my attewntion was Olivia and Sebastian. That Olivia thought Sebastian was "cesario". and that sebastian is marry a stranger. anyways I really how your essay turn out !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quote integration easily flowed; you stated your interpretation, presented the quote and effectively analyzed its meaning. Your analysis of Malvolio was a perspective that I overlooked (Malvolio stepping out of his social class). I thought your interpretation of Shakespeare’s intentions were insightful. I noticed you had some minor errors with citing you’re in text citations. Excellent analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job integrating quotes (as your fellow classmates pointed out). This mini-paper also showed skillful analysis and organization. Well done all around.

    ReplyDelete